Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happy Anniversary & Homecoming Talk

That's right, folks- two years of marital success! Since yesterday was the day we pulled away from Fort Drum- very possibly for the very last time- there wasn't too much time to really carve out just for our anniversary. I bought him the cutest Lady and the Tramp card that said, "You're the only one I ever want at the other end of the spaghetti," and presented him with a Winnie the Pooh plaque that read, ""We'll be friends forever, won't we, Pooh?"asked Piglet. "Even longer," answered Pooh." I know- real cheesy stuff! I usually don't do Disney, or decorative stuff, but since we aren't doing presents I wanted to let Aaron know how sweet it is having him around! We began our drive later than intended, and it was only after a half-hour break of doughnuts at a gas station that I asked for us to stop for the night. We could get home before 10pm, but we'd be exhausted. And it was our anniversary! So we found a Sheraton. Aaron ordered up champagne and strawberries, we dipped in the hot tub, and ordered pasta for a late dinner. It was a lot like our wedding night, except without the absolute exhaustion!

While back at Fort Drum, we saw all of my friends and spent a few dinners with a some of the returning soldiers. My feelings on the whole event are pretty complicated, but it was neat being an observer to the goings-on of a homecoming. I got to see my friends all super-excited and dressed up, and even witnessed a few first kisses. One of my friends attended to support me, and I had her man the video camera. She caught a good friend's reunion, but right next to her and her husband, someone is making out with her soldier. Like, full face sucking. It's kinda funny. I was happy to see everyone else happy, which is exactly where I'll leave it. I wish I could say it was some life-changing moment that brought loads of closure on all of my feelings about deployment, the unit, and other related matter- but it didn't. It just didn't. Maybe later I will make sense of it all, and I'll be sure to write about it.

We're not far from Gettysburg, which we might visit, if Aaron ever wakes up. I am so sick of him having long days full of pain and fatigue. I knew this morning today was going to be a waste, and it just hurts. We can't really plan anything anymore because we never know what will be a good day with little pain or a terrible one in which he can't even get out of bed. Over it. Surgery in a week, so hopefully this summer will bring a very welcomed and long-overdue change of events.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Dear! I hope the surgery next week is a turn for you both. Thinking of you, always.

    P.S. Love the cheesy Disney stuff. What can I say? I'm a sap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Champagne, strawberries, and a hot tub sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!!! Hope surgery goes well next week, thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete